L3 Techonologies Training and UI Improvements
L3 Technologies supplies a wide range of products to aerospace, telecommunications, and wireless customers.
L3 was undergoing a large ERP and PLM project tying together 20+ homegrown systems into a cohesive, user friendly, and efficient software package. I led the UX initiative consisting of a range of GUI modifications to increase efficiency and decrease user confusion and error.
- Teamcenter is a very function heavy application, but it is incredibly complicated for a new user.
- There was a lack of user friendly documentation.
- I wrote comprehensive training documentation and led training courses for:
- Teamcenter Security
- Command Suppression/Application Suppression
- Style Sheets
- Master Configuration Document
- Externally Managed LOVS
- Custom Icons and Property Renders
- Report Builder
- Query Builder
- I configured 300+ style sheets to create a better user experience
- I conducted contextual interviews and focus groups for identifying GUI tweaks.
- I implemented command suppression across all applications and application suppression across all groups and roles.
- I built VBA macros to automate workflow documentation.
- I modified property renderers and unique icons for clearer status identification.
- I received an aggregate rating of 4.8/5 from L3 Technologies.
- This was one of the most well documented and implemented Teamcenter projects. It won Siemens “Best Aerospace and Defense Project” of 2012.
- I was originally slated to work on the project for 3 months and was retained for almost 2 years.